Our neighbourhood plan vision is a series of statements describing what the Deepings should be like at the end of the plan period in 2036. It is intended to be concise and locally distinctive covering what the area will look like, what facilities will be needed and what it will be like to live and work here. A plan’s vision is similar to a company mission statement which is a broad statement of intent and a succinct description of the company’s core purpose.
Our vision presents the area’s unique selling points, what makes it a distinctive attractive and desirable place, and tries to address unrealised potential.
It need not focus just on land use planning matters but can reflect social and community aspirations. The non-land-use planning aspects are important but can be progressed outside the Neighbourhood Planning process.
What is this vision based on?
Our vision is based on responses from the questionnaires. It is also influenced by the results of consultation on previous Conservation Area Plans, Health Checks, and The Deepings Survey. Whilst some of these additional sources of information are a few years old many of the community views expressed historically have a high level of commonality with those from our 2016 questionnaire.
Our vision will need to evolve. It will be regularly tested against the emerging ‘evidence base’, and will be the subject of further community consultation.
The next stage
Once the vision is agreed, more detailed desired outcomes will be developed, and detailed policies advanced. We will again ask you what you think when we get there.
Please see what you think about the our vision here If you have any comments please write to us or send an email to email@example.com Please head any comments ‘Draft Vision’
A vision for the Deepings
By 2036, The Deepings will be two Parishes with one diverse community. It will still have the character of a friendly market town but will have seen growth that is proportionate and appropriate. The result will be:
• a more attractive place to live, work and play,
• a peaceful set of neighbourhoods with live social networks, and
• a good place to grow up and grow old in, supporting healthy behaviours and reductions in health inequalities.
Specifically, we will work together with other agencies to secure
• The housing needs of present and future residents with a supply that recognises local needs – particularly historic unmet needs of single people and the elderly.
• Significant advances in the affordability of large parts of every new major housing development.
• Healthier and mixed communities.
• Primary and secondary educational place provision in the Deepings matched to meet the needs of all children from the Deepings catchment area.
• The promotion of a strong network of attractive walkable streets and cycle routes, more and improved useable green open spaces, and improved countryside connections.
• Improved well-being and active healthier lifestyles.
• Ease of accessibility to services and facilities, all schools and parks, with barrier-free and safe access by foot, cycle, mobility scooters and wheelchair users.
• Continued protection and enhancement of the special heritage character of Market Deeping’s established market core, the riverside and Church Street, and the heritage and valued riverside characteristics of Deeping St James.
• Additional services and jobs focussed around the Northfield business area, and enhanced neighbourhood service areas/shopping parades.
• Growth creating more local jobs allowing for better opportunities to live and work locally.
• Increased local spending to stimulate the local retail, leisure and tourist economy.
• Growth as a key service centre for our rural catchment.
• Enhanced connections to the Deepings from adjacent villages, as well as from the Deepings to Peterborough for access to key services and facilities not offered locally.